Tuesday 10 October 2017

[Review] The Body Shop Drops of Youth Concentrate

I bought this accidentally when I went to Body Shop on its 25th anniversary. I've always been curious about this because of its beautiful packaging and its inviting name, Drops of Youth. Since I'm hitting mid 20's, I think it's about time for me to look for anti-aging serum for prevention. Once I saw that it was on a 25% discount, I immediately buy it.




Size: 30ml
Price: Rp 499.000 / $36

Ingredients:
Aqua/Water (Solvent/Diluent), Alcohol Denat. (Solvent/Diluent), Glycerin (Humectant), Chondrus Crispus Powder (Abrasive), Propanediol (Viscosity Modifier), Sodium Hyaluronate (Humectant), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Fagus Sylvatica Bud Extract (Skin Conditioning Agent), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Skin Conditioning Agent), Adenosine (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Parfum/Fragrance (Fragrance), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Crithmum Maritimum Callus Culture Filtrate (Skin Protectant), Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil (Emollient), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster), Citronellol (Fragrance Ingredient), Buddleja Davidii Extract (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Malva Sylvestris Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract/Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract (Skin Conditioning Agent), Thymus Vulgaris Flower/Leaf Extract/Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Flower/Leaf Extract (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Benzoic Acid (Preservative), Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Potassium Sorbate (Preservative).

* Potentially irritating and dangerous ingredients is highlighted in red

I did not really read the ingredients before I buy it. I was quite surprised when I get back home and see that it is very high in alcohol and fragrance. I was kinda skeptical on how it would make my skin feels.

The serum comes in a glass bottle with an applicator which make it easier to dispense the product without fearing of taking out too much product. Also, it feels hygienic. The content is a transparent gel which is a little bit runny but not too watery. It can be spread easily and absorbs quickly due to its high alcohol content. This serum does not leave any residue and does not feel greasy at all. It disappears almost immediately after you spread it in your face. However, I think this is due to its high alcohol content. I usually only need 2 drops of serum to cover my entire face. I only apply this in the morning and I did not get any purging effect from using this at the first time, so I guess it's a good thing. 

After using it for a week, I notice that my skin texture is improved. My skin feels very hydrated, not to mention my pores looks smaller (which I didn't really expect), well, it does not actually make it smaller but it looks less noticeable. And also my skin feels bouncy and has a *slight* healthy glow.

Overall, I really like how this serum affect my skin. But I think the result of drops of youth is more about how your skin feels rather than how it looks. I am also quite impressed with the quantity of the serum. I've been using it for a month now and it stills 80-90% full. I think it will last with me at about 8 months.

You might like it if you are in 20s and looking for an anti-aging serum and does not mind the alcohol. I do not really recommend it for those who are sensitive to alcohol or those in their late 30-40s as I do not think this will do wonders for mature skin.

Pros:
- Absorbs easily to the skin, does not leave any residue and greasy feeling
- ‎Super hydrating, improves skin texture
- ‎Gives a healthy glow
- ‎Contains many plant extract
- ‎Hygienic and easy to use packaging
- ‎Widely available at malls

Cons:
- Very high in alcohol (2nd ingredient) and fragrance
- ‎Very expensive (Rp 499.000 for 30ml for normal price) but it last a long time
- ‎Not travel friendly

Rating: 4/5
Repurchase? I actually like how this serum affect my skins. However, I have mixed feeling about this product since it is very high in alcohol and contains so many fragrance. There is definitely plant extract in this serum, but the quantity is way less than the alcohol and fragrance (notice how the plant extract is located at the bottom of the ingredient list).

I might repurchase if I do not find the replacement for this. But first, I will try other serum which is cheaper and does not contain too much alcohol and fragrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment